22
Jun

RETURN TO PROVIDENCE

Written on June 22, 2011 by alaba.dayo in News

By Alaba, London, UK – Current student of the IE Brown Executive MBA

After 3 months of juggling, reprioritizing and basically having no life (work/study/life), I am getting ready to return for the 2nd Residential period of the IE Brown EMBA (aka Welcome to Hell part 2 of 7) in Providence and it feels markedly different from the first time I went.  None of the mad rush and panic of trying to do 1001 things in one day.  None of the very early and very late work nights trying to compensate for a 2 week absence.   Work is less busy this time  around, I am more familiar with the course and of course our group has settled down nicely and is working very well.  Now, I also have an able assistant called IPAD that goes everywhere with me, and I use terms such as  dropbox, blackboard, good reader, and acronyms such as CS, ME, & LPO as if they’ve been part of my vocabulary all my life.

As a result I am mostly packed 2 days before my departure as opposed to 2 hours.  Of course it wouldn’t be the same course if I didn’t have a 90 minute video to watch, a book to read, readings in preparation for the residential classes – thus my new mantra – I’ll sleep when I’m dead.

Never a truer thing has been said than “We’re all in this together.”   What has got me through these last 3 months was the knowledge that 23 other people (my fellow pirates) were going through similar trials, tribulations and emotions.  After months of online interactions, conference calls, skyping, and e-mails – we all finally get to catch up face-to-face and on the same time zone.  I am really looking forward to catching up with everyone (including the course team) and spending more time in the hotel bar than the last time.  I might even get to see the museum this time.

Roll on Providence